If you own or manage rental property, then you’ve probably been trying to figure out a way to screen your tenants. Screening your tenants is a vital part of the process, because it can end up saving you a lot of money and headache in the future. Tenant screening can also play a bit of a role in helping your other tenants in the same buildings when it comes to feeling safe and comfortable in their own spaces.
Updated 2017: This article was originally published in June 2015.
The benefits provided by screening a potential tenant are pretty much endless. Overall, it prevents you from getting tenants that are known for being late on payments, and it can also give you peace of mind when you finally sign the lease papers.
Tenant Screening Services
Are you looking for an affordable and easy way to make sure that you’re able to get all of the information that you need about your tenants, while at the same time ensuring that you don’t miss anything important? Here is a quick list of the 8 best tenant screening services that are currently available online.
1. http://www.rentprep.com/ – RentPrep comes in at number one because they’re the only service on this list that employ FCRA certified screeners that compile your reports. You’ll find that their customer service and screening report accuracy are second to none.
2. http://www.myrental.com – My Rental offers a wide variety of different screening tools, including access to credit reports, eBooks related to screening your tenants, and more. It’s worth a look for any rental manager that may be looking to get the most for their money.
3. https://www.mysmartmove.com/ – This website gives you the best background check that you can find in terms of tenant screening. You can see the full credit report to get an idea of their background, you can find an eviction and a criminal report, and they will even let you know if they think that you should or shouldn’t rent to someone.
4. https://connect.experian.com/ – Experian gives you a great overview and their own customized score in order to let you know how a potential renter rates in an overview of whether or not you should rent out to a potential tenant.
5. https://www.tenantverification.com/ – Tenant Verification will give you the credit report, they’ll let you have access to rental forms, and you can even report information to them about your tenant’s payments and other habits that other potential rental agents may want to know later on down the road.
6. http://www.transunion.com – TransUnion is known for their credit reports, but they also give you access to SmartMove, which lets you know other important details including criminal history, recommendations for those instances where you have multiple tenants and co-signers, and more.
7. http://leaserunner.com/ – LeaseRunner is a great way for you to go paperless if you don’t want to deal with all the stress of paperwork, but you don’t have to set up your own website. They also offer tenant background screening services, and ways for you to set things up so that your potential renters can do their applications and everything else online.
8. https://alwaysscreen.com/products/ – American Tenant Screen is an affordable option that gives you all sorts of criminal records, credit reports, and more. They have different packages for you to choose from, so you can take a look at all of your needs and make an informed decision while saving money as well.
Haven’t started screening your tenants yet? Then go ahead and take a look at everything that these websites have to offer. Their resources are incredibly valuable and they can save you a lot of time and money in the long run as well.