So you want to start a blog and make some money online. Great, it’s certainly something that if done properly can pay off handsomely for years to come.
In this article we will cover the basic steps involved in setting up and developing a blog and how to make money from it.
Here are the 5 basic steps involved:
- Choose A topic For Your Blog
- Register A Domain Name & Web hosting
- Build Your Blog (or have us do it for you)
- Promote Your Blog to Gain Traffic.
- Monetize Your Blog Traffic.
Choosing A Topic For Your Blog
Starting a blog can be a great way to make money, but it does take some work. You will need to add content to your blog on a daily (best) or weekly (OK) basis.
You will need to either create this content yourself, or hire a writer or content creator to do it for you. There are plenty of cost effective writers out there, but I recommend writing the content yourself, it helps your audience get to know you (and like you) which is very important for your future success.
it’s also a good idea to choose a topic that you are interested in or better yet, passionate about. If you are passionate about the topic of your blog, then working on it on a daily basis won’t seem like work at all.
There are literally thousands of topics your blog can be about, such as:
- Celebrity Gossip – Especially if you live in LA, NYC or Miami
- Travel & Vacations – Singles, Family, Luxury, Budget
- Fashion or Shoes – Luxury, budget tips etc.
- Parenting Issues – Serious or light heated entertainment.
- Health issues – Weightloss, Diabetes, Yoga, general well being
- Hobbies – Fishing, Cycling, Skydiving…
- Money – Make Money, Save Money, Investing…
- Movies, TV Shows, Funny Youtube Videos
- Entertainment – Funny or interesting stuff around the web. (huge traffic)
- Success, Entrepreneurship (like this site)
- Stay at Home Moms, or Working Moms for that matter.
- Renovations & Home Improvement or Design.
- Dogs, Cats, Pets or any Animals
- Food – Home Cooking, Eating Out, Fine Dining…
Ok I think you get the picture, there are at least 25+ ideas in that list along, and hundreds more if you think about it.
Your blog can even just be about your own life and experiences. It is sometimes easier to blog about a specific topic, but if you have something interesting to share with your readers then you can blog about nothing… or everything.
So what are you passionate about?
Register A Domain Name & Web hosting
Choosing a domain name is pretty simple, you can come up with something related to the niche you have chosen, or just use your own name, or if you want to, you can use anything at all. Think about Google or Amazon, those words had completely different meanings until someone decided to use them for their website name and change the meaning of the words.
Once you have chosen a domain name, you will need to register it with a Domain Registrar and set up a web host account. We have step by step guides that show you how to do all that over here. And we even have a new free service that will help you get your blog up and running in no time.
Build Your Blog (or have us do it for you)
This part is pretty self explanatory, once you have your domain and web hosting setup, you will need to build your actual blog. This can be done really easily by following the tutorials above, or use our Free Blog Setup Service and we will do it for you.
Once your blog is ready, you will need to start… well… blogging. It’s a good idea to get a few posts up and running before trying to promote your new blog too much. If people see that you only have a single blog post, they will probably not stick around too long.
If you are writing your own content, great. But if you need some help, there are plenty of writers available to help you out. I personally use a company called articlelab.net but you can also use fiverr.com or freelancer.com elance.com or any other source of content.
Promote Your Blog to Gain Traffic.
Once you have started blogging, you will need to find an audience. The best way to do this is to head over to social media sites. Choose one or more social media channels to share your content on. Facebook, twitter, Instagram, Pintrest. They can all work in helping you find an build an audience for your blog.
You will need to setup accounts or fan pages specifically for your blog topic to keep it consistent. And start engaging other users with similar content. Comment on other people’s articles with your blog name, and people who are interested will follow your link back to your content, which will in turn lead them back to your blog.
If you have the budget to advertise then you can really speed up this process. Especially with Facebook. You can pay for advertising and get likes to your page for just a few cents each.
There are plenty of free guides around to show you how to do this.
Monetize Your Blog Traffic.
Once you have people visiting your blog, you can start to monetize that traffic. Exactly how you do this will depend on the type of blog you have built. Some of the more popular methods of monetization are:
- Promote your companies products or services if you have one.
- link through to products and services for sale with affiliate links where appropriate.
- Insert Google Adsense to your blog so when people click on an ad, you will get paid from Google.
- Use an Optin form to generate email leads that you can then use to build rapport and promote all kinds of things to them.
- Sell advertising, or sponsored posts on your blog.
- Seek out companies willing to give you free stuff in exchange for blogging about their products.
Effectually monetizing your blog is a matter of continually testing offers, links, banners and ideas to see which ones resonate with your audience.