We have all seen them on Facebook, you probably even follow a few yourself. “Mommy Blogs” have become a bit of a social phenomenon in recent times, and for good reason.
With over 1.19 Billion users now, Facebook has played a huge roll in driving the popularity of the Mommy Blog niche. Moms and Dads of all kinds like to share stories from other Moms & Dads who are in similar situations to themselves.
Mommy blogs are popular for multiple reasons, some people are looking for better parenting tips, or ways to deal with things that come up when raising kids, while others just enjoy the comic relief that most Mommy blogs provide. Then there is always of course the social aspect of it, commenting and having online conversation with other adults can seem like a godsend at certain times.
So it’s no surprise that people like to follow and read Mommy & Daddy blogs. But what about starting your own Mommy blog, to talk about your life, your kids, your successes or failures.
By the way, speaking of failures, check out this HouseWife Fails Video while you’re here…
Ok, now back to the article…
So, why else do people start Mom blogs? Simple, to make money and get free stuff. Yep, its no secret that companies are actively looking for popular blogs, facebook pages, instagram accounts to get their marketing messages out there. So if you have any of the above, with a decent following, you might just find yourself at the receiving end of a bunch of gifts and perks.
And when I say “decent following” you don’t need to be Kim Kardashian with millions of followers before you start to see any perks.
An article recently posted on Forbes said this:
“Brands generally review a woman’s blog and check to see if she is active on social media, but they don’t require millions, or even thousands, of visitors. In fact, brand executives and women bloggers say the going rate for a $300 kitchen product is 500 monthly views; an all-expense trip to Hawaii requires at least 20,000 monthly views.”
500 Monthly views for a $300 Kitchen Appliance, is a pretty good deal. And if you don’t know, it is pretty simple to get 500 page views a month.
One Mommy Blogger, Lauren Jimeson was recently featured on the Cosmopolitan website said this: “..there are many things in the past five years that my family and I have experienced, like our seven-day cruise in the Caribbean, that never would have been possible if it weren’t for my life as a blogger.”
It’s worth noting that Lauren has a great website and active social media accounts, but her total numbers are not astronomical.
- 11,089 Facebook followers and
- 11.3k On Instagram,
- Over 5 years is not too difficult to achieve.
Sure it will take time and effort, but I am sure most would agree, that it is time well spent.
So how do you get started with your own blog.
It’s a pretty simple process that anyone can follow to get a blog up and running.
- First you will need to choose a domain name for your blog. (cost around $10)
- Then setup a web hosting account. (cost around $4 per month)
- Install WordPress or a similar content management system (free)
- Choose and setup a theme for your blog. (thousands of free options but also premium themes available to make your blog look really good for around $60).
- Start Blogging. Post about your life, your family, news or current events.
- Follow a few other bloggers you like, develop relationships with them, comment on their own stories and post your views on your blog.
- Setup Socal media accounts, facebook, twitter, instagram, and share each blog post on those accounts.
- Engage, engage, engage. You must engage with your audience, talk to them, like their comments, reply to questions etc. this is how you build your audience in order to get the free stuff.
Once you have established yourself, then you can start looking for opportunities for free gifts, travel, makeup etc.
There are also plenty of other ways to generate real money from your blog. You can join Google’s adsense program and let Google run ads on your site.
Some Mommy bloggers like such as “MomsTimeout” have reportedly been earning up to $16,000 per month from the ads on their blogs.
They have a much bigger following (109,579 Facebook likes) but still, it just shows you what is possible with a fairly simple blog.
So, are you ready to start your Mommy blog?
Oh wait, before you leave, if you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them below.
Now, Go get blogging!